Suggest ways to control anger effectively

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sun, 12 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have severe anger issues. I get irritated very easily, and I am in most cases able to eventually calm myself down, but sometimes things get out of control and I throw something, hit myself in the head, and so on. Days after such an episode, I feel helplessly depressed and angry.
What to do? I have tried going to psychiatrist, he told me I was fine and send me to therapy, which was a disaster (I couldn't talk honestly with the therapist because he was soooo weird). My family physician orescribed me citalopram, which helped me in the sense that I used to get less irritated. I do not want to depend on pills to control myself, so I stopped taking it. I don't know what's wrong with me and I would live to get clear explanation on my mental health. How do I do that?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think anger management is required

Detailed Answer:
Dear Neira,
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description it is impossible to delineate the underlying cause for aggression as it can occur due to various conditions. Having said this it will not be wrong to say that depression is one of the most common cause of agitation and same can be implied in your case. My inference is based on the fact that citalopram helped you to a large extent.

I understand your reservation with use of medications to control the anger but we need to understand that there are two options about the management of aggression which includes therapy and medications. As therapy was not a success due to various reasons it is important to have medication.

Regarding the cause of aggression the research have shown that there is abnormality of sertotonin neurotransmitter in certain areas of brain. The medications help in the reversal of neurotransmitter abnormality and help in the problem. There are also abnormalities with dopamine neurotransmitter, which can explain efficacy of other medications in anger issues.

I also like to acknowledge that everything is not known about the mental health problems and the above explanation may not be applicable for you but the previous response with citalopram indicates reliability of above explanation.

I hope this answers you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 4 hours later
Are there natural ways that are proven to control anger, agression, depression? Any natural medication?
I loved what only 10 mg of Citalopram daily did for me, but I absolutely can't be on medication at this moment as I am trying to conceive.

I wouldn't really mind seeing a psychiatrist, but I actually visited two different people in the past 10 years, and both of them told me I was completely normal and prescribed therapy only. My first therapist made me do MMPI test and the results shown that psychopathy aspect was borderline high (if that helps at all).
I have had problems ever since I was born. For the first 3 months of my life I slept ONE hour in 24-hour period. I was progressing very well, was absolutely brilliant in school, always a veledictorian. My IQ is 148. Maybe this data can help you help me a bit more...
I still struggle with kind of partial insomnia, and I believe I would function well only if day lasted about 30 hrs instead of 24, because I can stay up for 22 hrs without yawning and feeling sleepy, but then I have to have 8 hrs if deep sleep to feel refreshed and energized. This creates a problem with my job, because I can't get enough sleep, and I have to take sleeping pills (over the counter), and then I have problems waking up.
Sometimes I hate myself, and the life I have because I just feel like a prisoner of my brain.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear Neira
Thanks for reverting back to me.

I understand your decision for not going with option of antidepressant. There are plenty of natural supplements but I am gong to discuss one which may help you.

Start 5-HTPn 50 mg one a day for one week
For week 2 go with 50 mg twice a day
Following this go for 100 mg 5HTPn twice a day
The response will be seen by the end of two weeks and may continue over three months.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks and regards.