Suggest ways to bring down the dosage of Lexapro

Dr. Vishal Garala

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: How do I taper down lexapro from 20 to 10? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Vishal Garala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hiii dear

Detailed Answer:
Hii dear
I m very gald to answer you
Thank you for using health care

Lexapro is escitalopram which is one of the SSRI
And it is useful to treat depression

Usual dose is 10 to 20 mg

20 mg is used in severe depression in initial stage
If you have good improvement and no major sign of depression than u can reduce it directly from 20 to 10 mg

10 mg is ideal dose and useful to treat moderate depression

10 mg is maintaince dose

If you are on 20 mg since 3 month's than you can reduce and watch for symptoms regularly
You should stay on therapy

Maintaince period is up to 6 month's

HMDA scoring is useful to predict progression of disorder

Get well soon
If any query than I will here to help you

Besides medicines
Regular exercises
Meditation
Sleep
Diet
All important for getting recovery fast

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Vishal Garala 12 hours later
Thanks for the advice on how to taper lexapro.

Last question. I want to increase Neupro Patch to 3 mg ( i am on 2 right now) but I don't have any patches in 3 mg.
Can I use a 4 and cut it or can I use a 2 and a 1?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Vishal Garala 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can apply

Detailed Answer:
Hii
Very glad to see you
It would better to use 3 mg but if you dont have than go for 2 mg and 1 mg
Two patches can apply togather
No need to worry
If still you have query than feel free to ask
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T