question-icon

Suggest Ways To Avoid Pregnancy Post Intercourse

Posted on Mon, 17 Oct 2016
Question: Hi doctor,
my gf regular date period is 7th or 8th evarymonth and that will last for XXXXXXX 5days, last month she got periods on 8th Auguest,
and we have unprotected Sex on 13th auguest, I am 99%sure that I pull-out before ejaculation on 13th, the very next day we again had sex but with protection by using condom,
for safety purpose she also took postpone 72 after half an hr on that day itself(14th). She got withdrawl bleed on 19th auguest to 21st auguest. While reading posts in this site I have come to know that,
her next period will be calculated from withdrawl date(19th auguest), If I calculate like that she must got periods on 17th or 18 th of september or atleast 20th. but today 22th september,till now
there is no periods and not even any sign, we are confused, tensed and worried about weather she is pregnant , please doctor help us to get out of this tension
Answered by Dr. Prasad (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Less likely to be pregnancy...

Detailed Answer:

I went through your post. You were involved in sexual activity during her safe period. The chance of pregnancy during the first week of menstrual cycle is very poor. I will not be worried about pregnancy in this case.

She has delayed period and I am confident that there could be some other cause. You may ask her to get urine pregnancy test done to rule out any doubts of pregnancy. She can wait upto 7 - 10 days for period to start. If it doesn't resume, she can be started on pills (progesterone) to induce withdrawal period.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad (48 hours later)
thank you doctor for your quick reply,
as you said she had gone through urine pregnamcy test twice one is in morning and other in afternoon , and the result came was -ve, no sign of pregnancy. my doubt is...is it one test i.e.,urine preg test is enough to test pregnancy. is it confirm?, shall we believe..this result..without any doubt..?

i have still doubt because she didnt get her date till today,
is there any side effects after taking postpone72 like getting fat ?..
you told that it will late by 7 or 10 days...if still she didnt get after ten days hw many days she has to wait for date nd when will she has to take pill...?nd which type of pills she can take

how many days it will take to have normal...regular periods..
Answered by Dr. Prasad (19 hours later)
Brief Answer:
If you still doubt, blood hCG level can be ordered.

Detailed Answer:

I am fairly confident she is not pregnant, based on the details / dates provided. Further urine pregnancy test was also negative. But if you are still in doubt, blood hCG level can be ordered. It is more reliable than urine pregnancy test. So as I mentioned, if doubts of pregnancy is still lurking around she can get this test done at any nearest laboratory.

Delayed menstruation are due to various causes. If periods are delayed more than 10 days, she can be started on medoxyprogesterone tablets. Medoxyprogesterone is a prescription medicines prescribed by a gynecologist.

As far as side effects of postpone72 is concerned, most people tolerate it very well. It is not related to fat gain. A few women experienced dizziness, nausea, vomiting and temporary menstrual irregularities after taking it. No long term side effects reported. So do not be concerned.

Hope I have answered all your questions. Let me know if you still have any doubts.

Dr. Prasad