• question-icon

Suggest ways to accelerate healing time of tissues after an ankle surgery

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: my son who is 18 broke his ankle and had surgery that included the insertion of a metal plate with 9 screws. The healing time line is gated by the need for tissue regrowth. is there a means to accelerate the healing of the tissue?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Healing

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You are concerned about your son who had a fractured ankle and surgery. The ankle is not healing well and you want advise on how to optimize healing. The best thing is that he eat plenty of protein. Protein is the building blocks for tissue and if he is not eating a good high protein diet it will not heal well. If he is overweight or has diabetes he will need to be sure he loses weight and keep his sugars controlled. When you are overweight the ability to heal on the lower extremities is poor and same holds true for poorly controlled diabetes.

There is no other way to accelerate or improve healing. This is a natural process that his body will need to handle.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Dr. Ronald Schubert