Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Suggest vegetarian diet for child?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 228 Questions
Query intended for a dietician.

Hello Doctor,

Please advise diet for my 9-month old son. We are pure south Indian vegetarians and don�t even have eggs.

1.     In what form should we give soya?
2.     Are small quantities of idli/dosa/upma ok for breakfast?
3.     Can we give Paneer, cheese preparations?

Please do share recipes if you have them.

Thanks & Regards,

Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 20 hours later
Thanks for posting the query.
The diet for infants has to be light and easily digestible. It is important that you continue the formula feeds and breast milk, while introducing the new foods.
Soy and other legumes are complex proteins, you may wait for some time before introducing these in the child’s diet plan. Try the other protein sources like split dals, cow’s milk, curd etc. Experiment with ingredients, e.g. try custard with milk or rice/ rawa kheer etc.
The fermented foods are light and are packed with essential vitamins, and can be given to the baby. Watch for any signs of flatulence. As they may cause gas. Cheese and paneer may be given but ensure the consistency is soft and control the amounts. If the child has loose stools than these may be completely avoided.
Try simple, yet healthy foods like pureed vegetables, soft cut banana, eggless pancakes, other soft fruits without skin (cut into small pieces), Khichri, soft cooked XXXXXXX yogurt, fruit custard, soft vegetable upma, etc.
This is the age when the child would experiment a lot with the food, in terms of its mouth feel, aroma, flavor and even temperature. It is therefore important to be careful with combinations and intervals between introducing new foods. If your baby rejects any food, try it after 15 days again in a different way.
Hope I answered your query,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor