Suggest type of specialist to consult for alzheimer and dementia

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: what kind of doctor do you see for brain ,althimers,dimentia??
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You must consult a psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
Hi Pennythomas95,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
The areas to be investigated as mentioned by you are in the domain of an experienced psychiatrist. They will test the higher mental functions, cognition and memory. An EEG may be done with psychological testing. The brain lobe function tests are also done and if necessary brain imaging is requested. Any suspected brain and nerve related problems are referred for detailed discussion with a neurologist if necessary.

Please remember you should consult a psychiatrist first and then proceed with further evaluation of his problems.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj