Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Suggest type of specialist to consult for alzheimer and dementia

May 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 6506 Questions
what kind of doctor do you see for brain ,althimers,dimentia??
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You must consult a psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
Hi Pennythomas95,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
The areas to be investigated as mentioned by you are in the domain of an experienced psychiatrist. They will test the higher mental functions, cognition and memory. An EEG may be done with psychological testing. The brain lobe function tests are also done and if necessary brain imaging is requested. Any suspected brain and nerve related problems are referred for detailed discussion with a neurologist if necessary.

Please remember you should consult a psychiatrist first and then proceed with further evaluation of his problems.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor