Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment when having symptoms of UTI

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I've been having all the usual symptoms of a uti for awhile. Went to Dr's today for a urine sample. Showed No bacteria or blood but positive for pus. Does this mean I have an infection or not? Confused and frustrated...
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You eed to do urine culture.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have UTI.

Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Routine urine examination is conducted within one hour after collecting the urine sample hence may not detect bacteria unless they are present in large numbers. It takes 24 hours for bacteria to be isolated and detected in given sample of urine which is treated in special container(Petri Disc) and environment After they are detected sensitivity of the particular bacteria is tested for common antibiotics.so that one can take appropriate antibiotic as per culture report. .

Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefexine along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Please do not worry or get confused .This will get cured within a week.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.