Suggest treatment when diagnosed with metastatic squamous cell carcinoma

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Cancer
Question: Hello,
I have had a lymph node removed in my neck which was diagnosed as megastatic squamous cell carsonoma. CT/PT MRI have not shown primary source of cancer. What should I do now?
Thank you,
Troubled
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Endoscopic exam of throat

Detailed Answer:
Hi

In this event, we recommend a thorough endoscopic checkup of throat to find any primary which might have been missed on PET-CT. Even if no primary is found, you should consider radiotherapy to the entire neck with concurrent chemo (cisplatin) or biologic therapy (cetuximab).

Hopefully it should cure the disease as only one lymph node is affected.

Hope this helps.