Suggest treatment to stop severe itching all over the body

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: For the past 6 weeks I have had very itchy skin all over and have been scratching a lot. I had been using Eucerin itch relief cream. It kept itching so I went to my primary care doctor who said I had dry skin and I told her I was breaking out with a rash on my upper thighs so she told me to use Cetaphil lotion instead of the Eucerin cream.
I have been using the Cetaphil lotion and I notice the rash between my legs got a little lighter but I still wake up in the morning scratching very badly. Because of this the sides of my breasts are burning from the scratching and also between my legs and very itchy.
A friend of mine told me to use XXXXXXX Baby Lotion on my body because it is very gentle because it is made for babies . I just took a bath to get the Cetaphi off my body and put on the baby lotion.
I also wanted to let you know that I am suffering from depression and anxiety and when I get upset lately I start scratching. I spoke to my Phyciatrist today and he told me to take Benadryl which would help with the itching which i took when I got home.
I take Mirtazapine for depression and Clonazepam for anxiety.
I really need your advice because I need to stop scratching because I am injuring my skin.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consider a combination of steroid cream, anti fungal and protective agent

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible, if the rash is in the folds, it may be intertrigo. This is inflammation of the skin folds, it can be complicated by fungal or bacterial infection

The benadryl should help with the itching.

Additionally ,you can try XXXXXXX GOO, this contains a combination of--(1) nystatin (treats fungal infection), hydrocortisone ( mild steroid to reduce inflammation and itching), zinc (helps to keep the skin folds from rubbing against each other and irritating each other).

If this cream is not available then you can try to get the components separately- obtain hydrocortisone and a zinc cream eg desitin. Also get an anti fungal cream or powder eg nystatin, ketoconazole, econazole, miconazole.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questionns