Suggest treatment to stop or curtail hair loss

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 13 Sep 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What can I do, eat or use to stop or curtail hair loss?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding hair loss

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Excessive hair loss can be due to various causes e.g telogen effluvium, androgenetic alopecia, alopecia areata, lichen pilaris, frontal fibrosing alopecia or a combination of these etc.

You may first go for a trichoscopic assessment along with a few lab tests like CBC (complete blood count) and serum Iron studies, Thyroid profile and scalp biopsy, if required to ascertain the exact cause.

I would like to know the duration of hair fall? Any preceding illness or cause like surgery?chemotherapy? etc.

Is the hair fall also associated with thinning? Is it localized or diffuse or patterned (hair fall and thinning restricted to the frontal, mid and vertex part of scalp)?

Are you on any medication?

Awaiting response.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Kakkar S., Dermatologist
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 17 hours later
You asked if I was on any medication--- I already listed Bupropion...that's all. As for preceding illness, I have had 5 bladder surgeries in 2 years- since December 1st 2015. The hair loss/thinning is basically on the top of my head-not so much the back or sides. This has become a concern in the last 6-9 months.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Minoxidil solution and oral finasteride

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Thank you.

Perhaps you have androgenetic alopecia - characterized by hair loss and thinning mainly from the front, mid and top of the scalp- manifests as loss of volume and widened parting.

I suggest you to apply a topical Minoxidil 5 % solution, twice daily. In addition to this you may take a tab Finasteride once daily.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care,
Dr. Kakkar S., Dermatologist
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Dr. Kakkar S. thank you for the answer, Do I need to get a prescription for either of the 2?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Androgenetic alopecia

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes, both of these are prescription medications.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care,
Dr. Kakkar S., Dermatologist