Probiotics will be helpful to reduce loose stools
Welcome to Healthcare-magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms XXXXXXX
Being a Parent myself , I understand your concern and apprehension.
Let me reassure you things can be taken care off.
Whether weight of 8.1 is alright at 9 months of age, opinion is possible when one knows what is the birth weight
Baby weighs double the birth weight at send of 5 months and is three times its birth weight at end of 1st year. So kindly let me know what was the birth birth.
Weight of 8.1 kg at 9 months seems okay. Remember never compare your kids with others. Every child is unique and has his/her growth pattern
If there has been recent increase in stool frequency, i would advise you to look for following sings and symptoms
1. Baby should sleep adequately for atleast 2 hours after feeds
2. Urine output should be adequate
3. Oral mucosa
and tongue should be moist
4. on pinching the skin on forearm and releasing it , it should immediately go back to normal position
If the above criteria are fullfilled there is no dehydration
. As majority of loose motion
are viral in origin, they are self limiting . All that is needed is maintaining hydration and preventing dehydration. I would suggest you the following
1. Continue giving Breast feeding
2. Probiotic: Syrup Neutrolin B 2.5 ml twice a day whcih is probiotic will help reduce loose motion
3. Khichdi and curds will be beneficial: Curds contains lactobacillus
which is natural probiotic and is very much helpful in loose motion
4. Home made ORS: Coconut water, line water with sugar and pinch of salt added. Rice water , dhal water
Being a parent myself and attending to many kids, the common advise I give. Keep experimenting with all the food available, let the baby decide what it likes. By 1 year of age baby should be able to eat everything which is normally cooked for adults offcourse it should be more soft,less spicy and less salty.
I would suggest the following diet, which you can change and give it to him suiting his tastes and liking
1. Khicdi and curds: Khicdi with curds and a spoon of desi ghee added: Curds is a natural probiotic and will help restore normal bacteria of colon
and prevent further loose motion. Ghee is high calorigenic
2. Wheat Porridge/Dalia/Lapsi
3. Rice water
4. Dhal water
5. Simyl MCT Drops: 10 drops thrie a day. They contain Medium chain triglyceride
absorption of whih is not affected even during loose motion and will help build up weight
6. Continue giving Breast feeding, till 12-15 months of age.
8. Boiled egg
9. Chicken /tomato soup
I would also share the following recipe which you can try, your kid will love it.
Contents: tomato -2, potato-1small, Onion - 1 small, Carrot-1 small.
Preperation: Wash all veggies properly peel potato, onion and carrot. Boil tomato in water for 5 to 6 mins sothat u can see the skin of tomato cracks. Now gently remove skin of tomato. Add tomato and the peeled veggies to a cooker with 1/2 a glass of water. Add pinch of salt and whistle the cooker for 2 to 3 times (veggies shud be cooked well). Now bring it to room temp and blend them in a mixer. Strain the contents to remove any lumps and now boil the soup with cinammon sticks (1or 2piece very small one) added to it. Boil it till it reaches the required consistency and then feed LO.
Note:You can add any veggie to make this soup including leafy veggies like spinach, amaranthus, cabbage etc.
2.Pumpkin: Take peeled pumpkin. dice the pumpkin and then presure cook it with little salt. mash well with hands and feed it along with rice or as such.
3.Gourds (any ashgourd, rich gourd etc etc): Make it finger size and then pressure cook it or boil in water till it becomes soft. You can either feed as a finger food or you can mash it and feed it along with rice or as such.
4. Boiled potatos and carrots. Pressure cook well and mash it with hands and add pinch of salt and feed baby as such.
5. Caramalised plums: Peel the plum. Put it on hot tawa and get it caramalised on both sides and then feed it mashed. XXXXXXX also u acn do the same way.
6. Poached pear: peel and pit the pear. Take 1/2 glass of water and add cinammon sticks, grated garlic, cloves etc and bring it to boil. Slip the pears into this boiling fluid and cook until its soft and the fluid is just about to disappear. Now remove all the sticks garlic cloves etc from the fluid and mash the pear in the same fluid and can feed the lo. Its really yumm. And for elders you can add sugar and honey while boiling which makes it a decent desert.
7.Avocado XXXXXXX puree. Take avocado and peeled and diced XXXXXXX in equal qty and grind well in blender. Directly feed the baby.
8.Banana: Ripened banana made to thin long slices. Heat tawa add little butter or olive oil and then saute the banana until its soft. mash and feed. If you wish you can add bit of sugar or honey to this
9.Oats and XXXXXXX breakfast: ground oats and diec XXXXXXX Boil apples until its soft and add ground oats cook until oats is done and a yumm breakfast is raedy.
10.Daal : Cook daal in cooker with salt and curry leaves added to it. Mash it add few drops of ghee and u can feed it either with rice or as such.
Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.
Dr Deepak Kishore K
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon