Suggest treatment to stop green watery stools in a 3 months old

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 23 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: hi, my daughter is 3 mnths old and since yesterday passing green coloured watery stools . we were giving her calshine od , a to zdrops , macalvite , ferium and bonnison drops. she is on breast milk only but in night we give pumped breast milk from bottle. what should we do. baby is taking feed timely and passing normal urine.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Just continue breast feeding. Nothing else.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that for a baby of this age, it is normal to pass stool several times a day or even after each feed. Alternatively the child may pass stool once in 10 days and that is normal too. Unless the stool is hard and pellet like, you need not grow concerned. It is also normal to pass green stool or a combination of yellow stool. The green colour occurs due to rapid transit through large intestine where the bile pigments do not get adequate time to convert to the yellow colour of stool. All you need to do is to monitor the urine output. If the frequency is more than 6 times in 24 hours, you would know that the amount of feeding is adequate. If the amount of passage of urine is less or if the child is lethargic you would need to take the child to a doctor without delay.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 10 minutes later
but doctor since yesterday the stool is in liquid form..what to do?

...................................................................
i m exclusively breastfeeding her,at night only once i pump breastmilk and give her thru bottle only once in night.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please confirm if the child is exclusively breastfed

Detailed Answer:
Please confirm if the child is exclusively breast fed. If yes, all you need to do is to continue breast feeding, may be, in slightly increased amount. If not exclusively on breast feeding, let me know and I will guide you accordingly.

Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
If you are exclusively breastfeeding her there is not the slightest reason to worry. Any sort of stool is acceptable, you just need not bother. You need not express your breastmilk and feed her. Feed her directly.

Hope I answered your query.

Take care,
Dr. Diptanshu Das