Suggest treatment to remove white patches on lips

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i got white patches on my lips, it's been a week since i starting taking medication prescribed by doctors and ayurvedic specalists...so what do i do? will it be cured eventually??? do you think it is vitiligo?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please try to attach an image

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

I should rightfully start by asking you what the diagnosis made by the doctors was sir. There are various causes for white spots on the lips sir, and only depending on the cause and the treatment prescribed I can predict whether or not this will be completely cured and how long it would take to get completely cured.

As for vitiligo, again it can only be assessed with an elaborate physical examination. You could take a picture of the affected region and attach it to our discussion sir. I could review it and try to diagnose the cause for the spots. For now, let me list the most common causes for white spots on the list for your reference sir:
-Herpes simplex
-Bacterial infections
-Fordyce's spots
-Allergy
-Sunburn
-Canker sores
-Healing scars
-Vitiligo
-Thrush
-Cancer (rare)
and a few others sir.

I hope you find my response helpful sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.