Suggest treatment to remove simple renal cyst and enlarged prostate

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I am 67, male, 160cm / 53 kg, south Indian; underwent radical nephrectomy (right kidney) for papillary renal cell carcinoma, three months ago. Recent investigation reveals normal size left kidney (10.2x4.3 cm); urine and blood analysis normal (creatinin coming down from 1.6 to 1.4 - doctor assures it will come down further with low protein diet like mine).
Now I am detected with a small (1.2x1.0 cm) simple left renal cyst and Grade I proststomegaly (prostate size 2.4x4.3x2.5). Can I avoid surgery completely?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Findings are age related.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

Sorry to know about your past illness.
According to present scan,there is small simple left renal cyst and grade 1 prostatomegaly.
Simple renal cyst is age related benign finding and in majority of the cases,it doesn't require any treatment.However,if there is rapid increase in size or there is infection in cyst then it may require intervention.You need follow up scan.

Grade 1 enlarge prostate is also age related finding and if you have symptoms due to enlarge prostate like urgency,straining etc,then you may need medicines.This condition is easily manageable with medicines and it doesn't require surgery.

It is good that creatinine level is going down.You should strictly follow your doctor's advise.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX