Suggest treatment to remove kidney stones

Posted on Sat, 31 May 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Today I got USG done of my whole abdomen. Rt Kidney shows 3.2 mm calculus seen lower calyex without hydronephrosis. Is it very alarming. What should I do now. Do I have to take any medicines for removal of stones. what precautions do I have to take.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
At present you only need watchful observation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

You are suffering small right renal calculus measuring 3.2 mm in lower calyx.
It is important to know whether you are suffering from any symptoms or not like pain,urination problem etc.

If it is asymptomatic then only watchful observation is required.In 98% of cases, small stones (less than 5 mm in diameter) may pass spontaneously through urination within four weeks of the onset of symptoms.
It is good that there is no hydronephrosis means it is non-obstructive in nature.

At present you should drink at least 6 - 8 glasses of water per day to produce large amount of urine.This will help the stone pass.

You also need few investigations like routine hemogram,random blood sugar,blood tests for calcium, phosphorus, uric acid and electrolytes,Renal function test,
urinalysis to check for crystals,bacteria,blood and white cells.

Proper treatment of renal calculus is according to the type of stone.

In general, you should take plenty of citrate rich drinks.Take limited soft drink,limited amount of salt,calcium,vitamin C and animal protein.

You should take your other medicines regularly.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 31 minutes later
I don't feel any pain while urination. Pls clarify what are citrate rich drinks. If I feel any sort of back pain what should I do.I heard when stone is passing out then unbearable pain is there. what should I do in that XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing back

You don't have pain,it means calculus is asymptomatic.In your case only watchful observation is needed.

Citrate rich foods are lemon juice,orange juice etc.

If you develop pain then you can take analgesics.
It is true that calculus causes pain during passage through urinary tract.You should take analgesics in that case.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 33 minutes later
I just want to ask one more thing. since stone is in right kidney but i am sufferring the pain at the left side. how is it ? i am not feeling any sort of pain at the right side. pls also clarify which pain killer should i take if at all i needed. can i take all vegetables or is there any restrictions to that also.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing back

Calculus is asymptomatic in your case.Left side pain may be due to some other reasons like colicky pain etc.

If you develop pain then you can take tablet Tramadol or Drotin SOS.

Regarding diet,you should avoid beans,beets,green peppers,spinach (maximum oxalate),chocolate,peanuts,lots of meat,soft drinks etc.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist