question-icon

Suggest treatment to relieve uncontrollable itching in the scalp, arms, feet, and back

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018
Question: for the last 2 nights I have been awakened by uncontrollable itching! my scalp, my hands, arms, feet, back and ankles. my hands and feet turn red, get hot and feel swollen. I have not changed any medications or eaten anything new. it wakes me up from a deep ambien sleep. I took an antihistamine and a Xanax last night which eventually put me to sleep around 5 in the morning... it is happening now tonight!!!!! I cannot stand this.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Hives

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
Perhaps you have Hives.
I suggest you to apply a topical soothing lotion e.g Calamine lotion.
In addition to this you may take an oral antihistamine e.g Cetrizine 10mg tab once every evening for a few days.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist