Suggest treatment to relieve pain in the groin area every time after playing paddle tennis

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2018 in Lump
Question: I'm a 63 year old male and play Paddle tennis once a week for 1.5 hrs. Played 1/28 (no pain during paying) and that evening, next day had pain in the groin area, mostly right side. Monday was worse, Tuesday better and felt "normal" by Wed. Played again on 2/4 (again, no pain during play). Felt a bit worse pain on Monday than previous week, this time both sides but worse on right. Felt almost normal by Wed/Thurs but decided to skip the upcoming weekend thinking something needed more time to heal. Played yesterday and a little over an hour into playing actually felt some pain on right side. The very next point felt a sharp pain that stopped me in my tracks and I knew i was done. It got worse by the hour (both sides but again worse on the right), every time I moved a leg during the night woke me up from the pain. Every step I take this morning has to be a short step and causes pain. I'm moving like a 90 year old with pain with every movement. Asking for suggestion on meds-Advil, Aleeve? Heat or cold? Any help is appreciated. Read that the healing process could take up to 6 weeks and I am done playing for that period of time because I don't want a repeat of yesterday and where I'm currently at. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Please give additional information.

Detailed Answer:

Hi!

Noted the history and understood the concerns.

Please give additional information for me to assist you better:

Is there any swelling that comes up on coughing and that can be reduced? Please palpate on the area of pain and cough hard and tell me the findings.

Any urinary history? Any referred pain to the testicles? Any changes in scrotum like swelling or so? Any tenderness on palpation and if yes where exactly is the pain and/or swelling?

Awaiting for your detailed feedback and a photograph if there is any swelling.

Dr. T Chandrakant,
General Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
Thank you for your prompt response. Sorry for my delay, have been at church and grocery shopping. Additional observations: Location of pain: extreme upper inside of thighs near groin area along with just above groin. Feel pain with every lifting of leg to walk, stairs etc. Feel some pain when coughing. I've had 2 hernia operations in the '70s and feel fairly confident what to look for and I don't feel I have any hernia symptoms. To answer your questions, No swelling nor bulging when coughing and having fingers/palm on the expected areas during cough. Only thing I feel with palms on areas of pain during hard coughing is the muscles flexing. No urinary history. No testicle pain nor swelling of scrotum.
...................................................................

Thank you Dr Chandrakant again for your promptness and advice. I appreciate it.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:

As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your detailed feedback.

The additional history is suggestive of a condition wherein there is inflammation due to strain at the pubic ramus by pulled muscles or may be a small stress fracture and so on.

The basic treatment is as follows:
1. Avoid the movements that increase the pain, meaning full rest to the part.
2. Take anti-inflammatory medications like Ibuprofen if it suits you.

Consult your Doctor and or get referred to an Orthopedic Surgeon to get a proper clinical evaluation, examination and investigations like X-rays (to rule out fracture) and get further management.

I hope this answer helps you. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Regards.
Dr T Chandrakant,
General Surgeon
.................................................................

Brief Answer:

Thanks for your appreciation.

Detailed Answer:

You are most welcome.

Please take care, with early diagnosis and proper management you can get cured.

Dr T Chandrakant,
General Surgeon