Suggest treatment to relieve pain due to De Quervain's tenosynovitis

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My daughter XXXXXXX went to Urgent Care today and was diagnosed with De Quervain's tenosynovitis and she was given a splint and Naproxen Sodium. She also has a skin disorder called Epidermolyisis Bullosa Simplex. She is having sharp pain and is so grouchy right now I don't want to be around her. Besides ice and heat is there anything else we can possibly do? I think I will take her to Dr. Hillyer our Family Practice MD in the morning. Might be a long night. I never thought of tendonitis as severe pain.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I will like to tell you that generally De querveins tenosynovitis does not lead to this much amount of pain . But still few things I will suggest is to immobilse the hand completely as the movement provoctaes the pain .

Next if possible you can try out some opioid analgesics like tramadol for pain relief if naproxen is not able to control the pain . You should try steroid injection for de querveins synovitis and discuss regarding this with your treating doctor .

At present you should see for tramadol for pain relief .

Dr. Shruti