Suggest treatment to relieve gum soreness and sensitivity caused by vigorous scaling of the gums

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 13 Sep 2018 in Dental Health
Question: HI i had root canal years ago upper right then a bridge. I scale my gums every night with rubber tip instrument. i see dentist every 4 months for cleaning so i do take care of my teeth. The other night i scaled it too vigorously and i irritated the gum and now it feels sore and when my teeth meet in that area it feels sensitive. It is located on the upper right back portion of gum line. Thanks! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems like gum injury. Will heal gradually.

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

The gum is injured by vigorous manipulation.

But do not worry as it will heal gradually.

However, if there is any ulcer formation over the gum then you should consult a Dentist and get a script of antibiotics.

Meanwhile, simply take some painkillers like Tylenol (Paracetamol) three times daily for the time being (I'd suggest avoiding Advil for now).

If there is only inflammation then you can do warm saline gargles. You can apply Chlorohexidine oral gel. Do cool compresses over it. Take soft diet. Avoid picking the gum or touching it with the tongue as it can irritate it further.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Dr. Honey Arora, Dentist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee