Suggest treatment to relieve burning pain after the insertion of a tampon into the vagina

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 17 Sep 2018 in General Health
Question: my granddaughter inserted a tampon last night and said it did not feel right so she took it out but said that after she removed it she began to feel a burning and pain in her vaginal area. she is still experiencing that burning pain this evening what can i do to help her
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Monitor only for now. Tylenol would be helpful.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query.

This tampon was incorrectly inserted and most likely caused some minor wounds in the vaginal. This explains the pains and discomfort.

Healing will take a few days and there is no need for further medical evaluation. Addressing her pain with Tylenol thrice a day is all that is required.

Monitor her closely for the intensity of pain. Also, should she report any offensive vaginal discharge, seek medical evaluation as this might suggest a super infection.

Note that it is okay for mild burning during urination because urine would touch the minor wounds.

However, there should be no frequent urination in small volumes which is common with urinary tract infections.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well.

Dr. Chobufo Ditah, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D