Suggest treatment to reduce uric acid and cervical spondylosis pain

Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I have little problem of Cervical Spondylosis. Recently my level of Uric Acid got increased. Please guide some preventive measure to reduce Uric Acid and control Cervical Spondylosis.
Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lets discuss the two issues separately then tie up

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for coming to HealthCareMagic. I am going to try and give you some basic information about cervical spondylosis and Uric Acid and it's levels separately.

In the most basic sense. Spondylosis is an inflammatory disease of the vertebral column, while Uric Acid is a natural metabolic waste product that is normally thrown out of our system regularly. When those disposal systems malfunction, the Uric Acid will build up and cause issues such as Gout.

Spondylosis of the Cervical Vertebra:

The easiest way to understand what is going on here, is to imagine that the bones in your neck, the vertebrae, are suffering from Arthritis... Inflammation. when they move and rub against each other they cause friction which causes this inflammation. The inflammation causes pain and limits the motion of the joint.

This problem can be proven diagnostically by getting an MRI of the neck. But I do not think it's really needed. There is no harm in getting started with treatment first.

The Treatment of Spondylosis is the removal of the causes if inflammation. The reason that these bones tend to rub and infkamme each other is usually due to:

1) Overweight in abdomen and chest: Simply put, extra weight weights down the vertebrae and causes high friction. Weight loss reverses this. Statistically speaking 60% of back pain sufferers will get relived by losing just 1/3rd of excess weight.

2) Lack of exercise: The muscles of the body have a natural way of maintaining themselves through muscle TONE. The muscle tone means that the muscles are in a constant state of partial contraction and are keeping themselves active. Tendons and ligaments that re connected to the neck and shoulder have no such TONE. Unless you exercise these joints, these joints will degenerate and the tendons will thin out and the spine will become progressively less stable when you move.. increasing friction and increasing inflammation.

The best way to combat this is to exercise. In my experience, patients who see a physical therapist 2 to 3 times a week for about 10 weeks of intense therapy get GREAT relief in symptoms of Spondylosis.

3) Diet high in sugar and processed foods: High sugar in the blood stream and the high levels of acids and preservatives in processed food change the chesitry of the blood. I will not bore you with the chemistry behind it. But excess sugar molecules (carbohydrates) and preservatives will promote inflammation in the blood vessels and joints.

Now, Let us discuss your Uric Acid levels. The first thing I would like to ask of you is WHY the test was asked for? Why are we testing your UA levels? Has some doctor suspected gout? Uric acid gets created in our blood stream when we process foods that are high in protein. The Uric Acid gets released from the liver and then gets flushed from the body by the kidneys. Any problem from simple dehydration to kidney failure to liver infection can cause the Uric Acid levels to go up. So as you can see.. it's a very vauge test. That is why i am asking to to tell me the circumstances surrounding the testing in the first place.

I hope this information has helped. Feel free to follow-up. I look forward to your reply.

Vinay

Follow up: Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 34 hours later
Thanks Doctor for this comprehensive and informatic reply.

Yes, last week only, I visited a Orthopaedic Doctor at my native place XXXXXXX He asked me UA level and Gout test. Gout test was negative, but UA levels were on higher side. He prescribed me some medicines for 4-5 days. But as of now I do not have that prescription with me. I am feeling compartively better. My main concern is that most of time I feel spinning of head dizzily, not at severe level, but at mild level. These disturbs me a lot. Though as of now I am feeling better, even regularly, I am doing some yogic neck exercises. Even I have also consulted some local massage walas too. But this problem is not getting finished from root level. Pls guide how can I control this completely.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 4 days later
Brief Answer:
UA Levels probably dehydration, X-rays needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for following up.

Uric Acid levels are affected by many many different issues. Dehydration is the most common cause of increased levels. Are you sure that you are drinking enough water? My rule of thumb is that you should drink enough PLAIN (not cool drinks or other beverages) water so that you have to urinate at least 3 times a day.

As to your dizziness and neck issues. Compression of the spinal cord COULD POSSIBLY cause these issues. I'm not saying that this is truly the cause of your problems, but it would be worth looking into. The first step to diagnosing this issue. You need to get X-rays of the cervical spine (neck).

When you go to the diagnostic center, you need to order the following:

1) X-ray Cervical Spine: AP (Meaning Anterior and Posterior) and Lateral (to the side)

2) X-ray Cervical Spine: Flexion and Extension (this means they will take an x-ray of you while you bend your head forward and backwards).

Getting these x-rays done will help determine IF your cervical spine needs to be looked at in detail.

When these x-rays are done, you can upload them to the site and we will discuss them.

Looking forward to your reply,

Vinay