Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment to minimize scarring caused by a cut on the eyelid

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 5709 Questions
34 yr old female. I have a gash on my eyelid and 3/4-1 inch long ways. It's bleeding and swollen. No concussion symptoms. Just want to know best treatment to minimize scarring. Icing it right now. It is deeper than just a scratch.
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: A deep cut of the eyelid requires suturing. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health Care Magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having gash/cut on the eyelid measuring about 3/4-1 inch long. The first thing to be done is to rule out associated injuries to the eye and the surrounding structures including head injury. The treatment of the eye lid cut or laceration is preferably by suturing and apposition of the edges of the cut wound. This will prevent scarring. The second option is application of tissue adhesive glue if it is available. The suturing has to be done earlier preferably within 12-24 hours as this will give good apposition and minimize scarring. Hence I advice you to get examination done by your doctor to rule out associated eye injuries or injuries to the surrounding structures and suturing of the wound preferably by a eye doctor. Hope I have answered your query and the information is helpful to you. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor