Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment to lower cholestrol level

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2568 Questions
My cholesterol levels seem to be increasing. I want to first take some medicines to control it and then change to some healthy eating tips. About four months before, I did take some medicines to control it and then moved to homeopathy. But need advise on two things -
1. What medicine do you suggest to immediately get down my cholestrol level
2. What other tips can you give me to help control Cholesterol
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Statins can be used...

Detailed Answer:

I appreciate your efforts to lower elevated total cholesterol and LDL. Both these puts you at some risk to arterial disease in future. If you have no history of chest pain or transient ischemic attacks, then the levels have no immediate health implications. However it is definitely better to get it lowered as soon as possible.

I would suggest you to continue with the lifestyle change you already started on. Make sure you keep your weight under ideal BMI standard. Avoid alcohol and smoking if any.

As far as medicines is concerned, you can start statin group of drugs like atorva 20mg tablets once a day for next 3-4 months. Recheck lipid levels say after 6 months period. We can reassess the needs again. Atorva is well tolerated by most individuals. However watch out for muscle pain/cramps, tiredness and weakness.

As far as tips is concerned, I suggest the following three cardinal set of action:
1. Diet and lifestyle - avoid any high calorie food including excessive cereals, chocolate/sweets and high fat/oil - deep fried foods. Keep yourself from alcohol and unhealthy habits.
2. Exercise - start work outs to keep body weight under normal limits. Aerobic exercise to burn calorie are extremely useful.
3. Medications - follow your doctors instruction. Do not use drugs over the counter. Most medicines affect liver function which in turn can impair lipid levels.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment to lower cholestrol level 2 hours later

Some one suggested I go for a liver functionality test, just to check if that has any role in driving my cholesterol level high. What do you suggest ? Can you tell me what that test is ?

And how does one know if there are blockages in arteries, even before you get an heart attack ? Just wanted to understand a bit more

Answered by Dr. Prasad 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Liver function tests as per your needs...

Detailed Answer:

I did not find any reasons to suspect liver problems; however you may get it tested. I order for 'liver function test' to check liver and its functions. Your local laboratory will know about it.

As far as tests to checking heart artery blocks, investigation of choice is angiogram. However before we come to this test, other tests such as ECG, echocardiogram and stress tests are systematically performed. I will refer you to a cardiologist for systematic investigations if you have other risk factors - high blood sugar, diabetes, family history of early heart attacks and history of chest pain along with marginally elevated cholesterol levels.
If you are about to visit a doctor, you can discuss about coronary calcium scan test with him/her.

Hope this answered your questions. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment to lower cholestrol level 5 hours later
Thank you. Luckily I do not have history of chest pain or blood sugar/ diabetes. My dad and mom don't have it. However, my dad died of a heart attack and for the past few months, my cholesterol levels have been marginally high.

If you suggest me a good cardiologist near by malleswaram or sadashivnagar of XXXXXXX that will be helpful.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Physician evaluation will do...

Detailed Answer:
Honestly since you have no significant medical history besides raised cholesterol, a cardiologist visit is a premature necessity. My suggestion will be to see your local physician / family doctor and discuss about the report. He/she will be able to treat the current concern.

However as per your request, the nearest cardiologist who knows about HealthcareMagic practices at XXXXXXX Medical Centre, 4/A, off New BEL road, Seenappa Layout, RMV extension 2nd Stage, XXXXXXX You can visit Dr. XXXXXXX C Koregol at this medical centre.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you need any other information.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor