Suggest treatment to lower cholesterol level

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Cholesterol
Question: Hi,
Recently in my company they conducted medical camp and did different tests. As a result for me they mentioned the cholesterol is little high, so the doctor recommended to take the tablet "Fenocor 68mg" daily once for 2 months and do jogging for 20-30 mins. The below are the test results. Please let me know whether i can take the tablets and what kind of exercise i can do for this.

LIPID PROFILE
CHOLESTEROL,serum 236 mg/dl Desirable: <200
TRIGLYCERIDES,serum 103 mg/dl Normal: <150
HDL CHOLESTEROL (Direct),serum 39 mg/dl 32 - 60
LDL CHOLESTEROL serum 177 mg/dl Desirable :<130
VLDL CHOLESTEROL 20.60 mg/dl 5 - 30
CHOL / HDL CHOL RATIO 6.05 0 - 4.5

GENERAL EXAMINATION
Height (cms) : 167 Weight (Kgs) : 61
B.M.I : 21.87 Pulse/min : 64
B.P : 110/80
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for Writing to us.

I have gone through your blood results.
Your total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol(Bad cholesterol) levels are slightly increased.
You need not worry about it.
All you need to do change your lifestyle.
Here I am giving some suggestions to lower your body cholesterol.
1.Physical exercise is most important.I appreciate that your doing jogging.Increase time of jog or you can join in gym.
2.Avoid oily,fat,junk,fast food.
3.Eat healthy vegetables and fruits.Adding fiber contain food to your diet will help you.You can take raw garlic it lowers bad cholesterol.
4.Eat fish which contains Omega 3 fatty acids(good cholesterol HDL).
5.Avoid smoke if you does. Restrict alcohol intake if you consume.
6.Get enough sleep.
7.Avoid late night food,eat 2 hrs before bed.Avoid heavy meals and eat small meals more times.
I would suggest you repeat blood tests after 2 months if you will have high cholesterol then you need to continue medication.
According to weight and height you have healthy weight.Kindly maintain your body weight.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 21 minutes later
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I have below 2 questions,
1. Can I take garlic pills ? or raw garlic only is suggested ?
2. So I no need to start medication now ? Only after 2 months based on the results ?
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to take Medication

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

You need not start medications now. Medication is always a secondary option. First you need to change your diet and life style to bring your blood cholesterol level to normal. After 2 months if you do not find the expected result then you can start medication.

You can take 2 pieces of garlic per day.You can take it as raw or cooked one.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.

Thank you