Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

150 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment to lower blood pressure

Answered by
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 3094 Questions

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: my mom is not feeling well, blood pressure is 158/68 and she feels sick and dizzy. she won't go to the hospital, is there anything I can do to bring it down?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A bit early to treat, monitor, reassurance

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the question,

I understand how this can be disturbing. However, it might important to note a few things. Is this the first time the blood pressure, especially the upper value (systolic )is above 140? . Is she going through any stressful psychological or depressive moment lately?

In case she has never been diagnosed hypertensive before, It will not be justified to treat her now (give drugs to lower her blood pressure). The normal blood pressure is normally less than 140/90. It s true that at 158 it is raised. However, a stressful event can cause a temporal increase in blood pressure as such. I suggest you stay calm, be cautious again and repeat the blood pressure measurement may be tomorrow when she is actually at rest. In case the blood pressure remains high, then treatment will be justified.

For now, I strongly suggest psychological support and reassurance. The blood pressure should be controlled later under calm conditions and at rest. If raised then , treatment is advised.

For now, watch and reassure her. Regards,

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on