Suggest treatment to improve breast milk supply

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: i have given birth to a baby boy 2 months back. i had alot of milk but baby had problem latching but i managed to feed him with formula. i extract and give him milk too... lately very less milk i can extract and my breast do not feel full. i am taking lactare from last two days two capsules morning and two capsules evening. doesnt seem to be helping much. what shall i take to have very good milk supply as my baby is a 2.5 month old 6 kg baby with high demand for milk
Answered by Dr. Soumya 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sucking by baby is best medicine

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

The process of lactation is mainly dependent upon stimulation by the baby. Means when baby sucks the breast, it creates a reflex ( Sucking Reflex) to brain which secretes a hormone called oxytocin which helps in production as well as discharge of milk.

Since you are not feeding the baby, it is unlikely that breast milk production will continue like before due to lack of stimulation.

Prescribing any medicines at this stage is not going to help. Only thing that helps is training the baby to suck. Especially your baby seems to be healthy and gaining good weight, you can continue supplimenting with formula milk if not able to suck.

Dr. Soumya
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari