Ask a Dentist   »  

Suggest treatment to fill dental cavity

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - July 2014
July 2014

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Question
I am 41 years,with a tiny cavity inbetween my upper wisdom tooth and the adjacent tooth.It pains when i chew something hard like chicken or something otherwise not much of a problem.

Can the cavity be filled ,(inbetween two teeth) or do i have to get the wisdom tooth removed.
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
tooth infection, RCT, extraction, medication

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, I have gone through your query.
As far as the pain in between the wisdom tooth and adjacent tooth is concerned there are two possibilities, either it can be because of the tooth infection in the second molar or wisdom tooth (acute apical periodontitis) secondary to decay or it can be because of the gum infection secondary to food lodgement in between two teeth where the decay is present.
Consult a oral physician and get a radiograph done. If the radiograph shows any infection in the root tip of second molar then get the tooth restored with root canal treatment and crown. If the decay is limited only till enamel and dentin without involving pulp, then the tooth can be restored with normal tooth color restoration(composite).
If the radiograph shows any infection in the root tip of the wisdom tooth, then get the tooth removed.
If I am your treating doctor, I would have put you on a course of antibiotics like amoxicillin 500mg tid and an analgesic like diclofenac 50mgbid (if you are not allergic) for three days.
After consulting the physician and taking radiograph, you can upload the images so that we can tell you the exact diagnosis and treatment plan.
You can consult me directly for the further treatment.
I hope my answer will help you, take care.
If any queries are there, then reply me back.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment to fill dental cavity 38 hours later
Actually i have been to one doc and she said there is a tiny cavity inbetween the wisdom tooth and adjacent tooth.It does not pain unless i bite something hard from that side.SO my question is if the cavity inbetween two tooth can be filled as i dont want the wisdon tooth to be extracted.
Also r u practising in banaglore? Kindly advise on the above.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
restoration, radiographs

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.
The tiny cavity can be restored. We can leave the wisdom tooth like that only for time being, but if it is in abnormal position then it might cause problem in future.
The pain can be because of the pressure over the gums or root tip when you bite on hard things.
Ya, I Go for consultation in XXXXXXX road, Dr. Mallika's Dental Health center (opposite to nilgiris), XXXXXXX You can see my profile for further details.
I can give you exact treatment plan after seeing you clinically and taking radiograph.