Suggest treatment to cure soft tissue injury over coccyx bone

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 30 Apr 2014 in Accident and Emergency
Question: Hi - I fell down the stairs about a week and a half ago and landed on my rear. I've had pain in the buttocks (I'm assuming I bruised my tailbone) since the fall, but it has actually felt worse over the past day or two. Is this normal for the pain/discomfort to increase a week later? Any exercises or stretches that I can do to help speed recovery?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follow these measures for relief from the symptoms Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The symptoms that you are having are likely to be due to soft tissue injury over coccyx bone. The symptoms are generally worse when sitting for prolonged periods of time, or with direct pressure to the tailbone area. Follow these measures for relief from the symptoms: 1) Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, avoid to sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks will help. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone. 2) You can also use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface. 3) Take sitz bath [sitting in lukewarm water for 10 min] 4) Physical therapy involving strengthening of pelvic area muscles , stimulation with ultrasound therapy would be helpful for speedy recovery. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 minutes later
Thank you for the helpful advice - can you tell me what the average healing time is?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Average healing time is 3-4 weeks. Detailed Answer: Hello mam. It's nice to hear from you. Average healing time is 3-4 weeks. Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.