• question-icon

Suggest treatment to cure numbness on leg

Posted on Fri, 2 May 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i am having numbness in my front part of right leg(only).Also i feel sudden pull from within especially during nights which is disturbing my sleep. i have been facing this issue since an year now.please suggest a solution to this problem
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer: need more details Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and since you are facing the said problem from last one year, thus do let me know about following points for better insight of pathology and Management. 1. Going by the history of numbness: since there is a difference between symptom of leg in medicine: lower part is called leg and upper part is called thigh, thus do let me know which part are you referring about, since pathology differs in both areas? 2. Do you or is there any history of diabetes in your family? 3. Any features suggesting calcium and/or salt deficiency? 4. Have you gone through any general physical examination, [neurologist /general surgeon] since there is a difference between numbness-cramps and claudication and/or Neuropathy? Please revert back for further workup and management Dr. Munish Sood Naimittika
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Hello Doctor, Thank you very much for trying to understand my problem in detail. 1.The numbness is in thigh(front part) of right leg. 2. my mother is diabetic and my grandmother too 3.i have white spots on my nails(don't know if it refers to calcium deficiency) 4. Last year, i visited an orthopedic doctor but not a neurologist or general surgeon i am having periodic pull from with in- something like a shock as well. Please help me solve this problem
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Meticulous Examination & Management Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for reverting back with your clarifications: 1. Since location of numbness [paresthesia], is in front of THIGH, [anterior thigh numbness], thus condition which comes into mind is/are segmental neuropathy or neuralgia, and likely i. [meralgia paresthetica]: although numbness is there but is accompanied with Pain [and feature of pain is absence from your history]. ii. Numbness and pull like felling while lying down: possibility of Femoral Neuropathy is likely [numbness without pain], so in best interest it is wise to see a Neurologist for Neurological Examination and appropriate Investigation and also with a General Surgeon regarding Nerve Examination. 2. Since there is a positive family history of blood sugar in your family, thus please check with your sugar level to exclude the same, since impaired sugar level can be one cause of neuropathy/numbness. 3. White spots: i. although rules out low blood count, but still anemia is common in women, so please check with values, also kidney/liver disease and diabetes can cause white nails [so check with relevant examination/investigations to rule out hidden pathology [ if any] ii. White spots/dots could be leuconychia: which is a harmless condition caused by minor injuries while nail is growing. The white spots gradually disappear as the nail grows outwards from the matrix with the nail plate [for further information you may consult a Dermatologist. 4. Till you have come up with reports and Doctor’s Opinion, line of management will be . Adequate bed rest . Loose clothing [as tight clothes, irritates the nerve] . You could consider adding a daily B complex vitamin supplement. . If it comes out to be Diabetic/peripheral neuropathy, treatment will be given according to it, but if there is any nerve dysfunction, then physiotherapy and muscle exercises along with lifestyle management is required, because prevention depends upon the cause of the nerve damage [if there] Do revert back if you consider following the said protocol, I'll be happy to address your concern once Expert guidance is sought. Dr. Munish Naimittika
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist