Suggest treatment to cure chemical burn in vagina

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 5 May 2014 in Women's Health
Question: my daughter used veet and burnt her vagina what can she use to help it heal. It is raw and itchy
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: sitz baths, antibiotic and mild steroid cream Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Chemical burns can sometimes occur as a result of the use of these chemical hair removers. She may want to consider the following: (1) a sitz bath would help to relieve the discomfort and aid healing. This would involve sitting in warm (not hot) water for 10 to 15 minutes, 2 to 3 times daily. The water may contain epsom salts or table salt, witch XXXXXXX may also be helpful (2)a topical antibiotic cream would reduce the chance of infection. Normally silver sulfadizine is used after a burn but if this is not available any antibiotic cream can be used. Antibiotic creams may be available over the counter (3)a mild topical steroid cream would reduce the inflammation and help with the itching. Example would be hydrocortisone or advantan. Because they are mild may be available without a prescription It may take up to a week for almost complete resolution. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions