Suggest treatment to cure bony spurs

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 21 Oct 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: After experiencing major neck and shoulder pain, I went to Dr. A Cat scan revealed
degenerative arthritis and bone spurs on C3-C4.
Is there a surgical procedure to eliminate the spurs? Is there a medicinal therapy to dissolve and/or prevent further spur growth? XXXXXXX ..
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these bony spurs that you have reported. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to slow done or dissolve bony spurs. A good number of them would cause no symptoms and when they do, then treatment is warranted. If the symptoms are all limited to pain with no nerve or limitation on range of movement, then pain medications are prescribed. If there is nerve involvement or inability to use joint, then surgery can be considered to take off the bony spurs.

In all, nothing can be done to stop growth or dissolve the spurs. If the joint can move freely and there is no nerve involvement, then pain medications are sufficient for the disease condition. Otherwise, surgery is necessary to remove the bony spurs to relief the compression on nerves and permit proper joint movement.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.