Suggest treatment to alleviate menopause symptoms

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Thu, 30 Oct 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: You tried to follow up on me about a month ago. There was no particular change at that time. Since then I have had some of the symptoms you asked about. Like breast soreness. Earlier this month I started having it. It hurt just as bad as when they first budded at puberty. A week and a half later I got stomach cramps. Then after another day or two I had a period. It lasted a good 6 days.This is the first one since February 2013. I have had nothing but watery and soft stools since I got sick in July. Nothing at all solid. You were thinking my sickness was a G I reaction to menopause. I seems you are right. So what I would like to know now is what, if anything, can be done to alleviate my symptoms and help me have regular stools again.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following diet regimen advised...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

Thank you for following up.

Menopause is a physiological process that all women will go through. Some of them will have severe symptoms, some others only a few symptoms, while others no symptom at all.

I am happy to hear that all your GI problems have been determined as a reaction to menopause.

All the symptoms you had: breast soreness, stomach cramps were due to ovulation and womb (uterus) contraction for the next period. This time it lasted 6 good days. Other times it will last fewer or you might experience cramps and soreness on your due date but no periods at all. That is perfectly normal.

I advise to take paracetamol and/or mephenamic acid when you feel the soreness and cramps.

It is also true that due to hormonal changes, your GI tract (bowels) will be more reactive. I advise to:
- avoid foods that will induce bowel movement: pear, fig, plum, etc.
- avoid caffeinated drinks
- avoid foods that will cause bloating: potato, chips, etc.
- have more fiber rich foods :banana, apple, orange, dried fruits, whole grains, cereals, legumes, etc.
- eat more dairies (Greek yogurt, low fat cheese),
- take probiotics to optimize intestinal flora (thus you won't have diarrhea issues)
- take psyllium fiber supplement

You can also observe what foods/drinks increases bowel movement, so , you can avoid taking it in future.

I advise to try to cope with stress as it plays also an important role in the bowel movements.

Hope it helped! Let me know if I can assist you further!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 6 days later
Thank you for all the information on a good food regimen. I have increased fiber intake and started taking probiotics. I had forgot about the probiotics for a while, then I came across the bottle and said to myself, "Now don't you think it would help to take those?" I am now starting to form larger stools but they are still soft. I still have the diarrhea a time or two in the day. Probably to do with some of the food I eat. I have gotten a healthy appetite back as far as wanting to eat. The same amount of food doesn't take me as far anymore,so I'm eating at least one extra 1cup meal a day. In turn that has given me the energy I need to do more.

So there's a question: Is one cup worth of food enough for a meal? If so would 4 meals be enough to maintain good strength and health? Should I add another meal in there or take the extra out?

Thank you again,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Remember:eat often&small portions...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back dear XXXXXXX

I am very very glad to hear about your improvements.

Having 1 or 2 bowel movements per day is completely normal. It's good that larger stools are being formed, they will continue improving with passing of days is you follow the right diet changes.

With regards to the amount of food consume during one meal, to my opinion, one cup is enough for a meal. The main goal is to eat often and small portions. In other words, you can eat 4 or 5 times/day, but small portion, and this is fine.

All the best!
Dr.Albana