question-icon

Suggest treatment speech problem in a child

Posted on Mon, 21 Jul 2014
Question: Hi my son 8yrs',is an ADHD child and also has incohrent speech. Please advice that should I take him to a speech therapist..? What are the reasons for it?
Answered by Dr. Arun (51 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
needs speech therapy

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to HealthcareMagic.

Adhd patients commonly present with speech problem. It is one of the symptoms of ADHD. Your child will need:

A) Medications to control and improve Adhd like Ritalin, which needs to be taken under medical supervision.

B) speech therapy is important and should be started. It should be accompanied with medicine, otherwise it is of minimal use.

Remember start treatment early, you can ensure good improvement. Delayed treatment is detrimental.

Wishing your child good health
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology