Suggest treatment pain due to gallbladder stone

Gastroenterologist
Question
I had to be admitted to the hospital b/c of severe, I thought, gas pain that would not go away. An ultrasound was done and a stone of 1.3cm was found in my gallbladder. I have been having this problem for about 5 years and would take pepto bismol and the pain would eventually go away, I always felt nauseated and constipated and this always happened in the middle of night. This time it wouldn't stop. I was reluctant to have surgery. My surgeon scheduled a nuclear test to be done on gallbladder. It came back as a normal functionally gallbladder. Since that time I have had 3 more severe attacks that last anywhere from 3-5 hours, always in the middle of the night. I am scheduled for surgery on July 30, but am afraid this may not be the problem. Why would the ultrasound show a 1.3 cm stone and the nuclear test show a normally functioning gallbladder? I really don't know what to do. I am afraid if I don't have it out I may develop pancreatitas or get a stone stuck in the duct. right now they say the stone is in the neck of the gallbladder and apparently it can move in and out of the neck, thus relieving the pain.

Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Echo endoscopy to rule out choledocus microcalculi

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I am sorry for the situation you are in!

I have gone through your medical history and understood your concerns.

I think surgery is necessary although everything is ok with your cholecyst. My suspects are over cholesterol content of bile.

Before intervention, I advise to:
- run echoendoscopy and/or MRI to rule out possible microcalculi in choledocus

It is true that pancreatitis is often associated with cholectyst problems, even after surgery is done. I advise to start taking biliary acids to dilute bile after intervention to prevent biliary stones onset.

If after examinations, no microcalculi are present, then, abdominal laparoscopy is recommended.

Hope it helped! Good luck with your intervention!
Dr.Klerida