Suggest treatment of pelvic inflammatory disease

Posted on Sat, 27 Sep 2014 in Women's Health
Question: WHAT IS THE COMPLETE TREATMENT FOR FLUID IN POUCH OF XXXXXXX AND ASSOCIATED PAINS AND AGONY?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is pelvic inflammatory disease

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,
Thanks for trusting healthcare magic.

Pouch Of XXXXXXX is also called recto-uterine pouch, is located between the rectum and the back part of the uterus.

Fluid in the pouch of XXXXXXX can be seen in numerous conditions.The commonest is soon after ovulation which is very much normal and happens due to release of blood and fluid from the follicle rupture site in the ovary.

Other conditions like pelvic inflammatory disease , rupture of bladder or any hallow viscus in the abdomen can cause fluid collection but these conditions will present with severe symptoms before there is collection of fluid in the pouch.When seen in mid period it is considered as an indication of Ovulation.

In your case there is pain present in the lower abdomen and bilaterally over the iliac fossae, which indicate pelvic inflammatory disease. In this the lady generally has pain during deep penetration during intercourse and a low grade fever always accompany and per vaginal examination is painful. it can be treated with antibiotics ,a course for 14 days as per the cdc guidelines. you have been advised lyser-d which is diclofenac sodium , a pain killer.

after 14 days of treatment a pap smear needs to be performed and examination per vaginum after 2 weeks of completion of course to evaluate the treatment. if the signs persists , then a repeat course of 14 of antibiotics is advised.
the chances of complete recovery are bright , just that during the whole course , intercourse or sex has to be avoided which might flare up the infection. the fluid in POD is an inflammatory response of body to infection, so its normal in infection.
my suggestion would be to continue antibiotics and report to your physician after 3-4 weeks for reevaluation of the condition. relief can be observed from 3rd-5th day of treatment.

thanks,
regards,
Dr.Sameer Kumar.

in case you have further queries , you can contact me directly at:-
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sameer-kumar/68814

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist