Suggest treatment for yellow stain on the teeth after using nicotine gum

Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Dental Health
Question: I have been using nicotine gum and noticed changes in my teeth I brush them twice a day and noticed slightly yellow and grayish brown staining near gum line and noticed gum receeding near one tooth I have been using nicotine gum over a year now and tend to sleep with it no dental insurance yet looking into it last dental examination 2 yrs ago is the nicotine gum doing this 170 piece box lasts me 3 wks
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be due to nicotine gum

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to tell you that though nicotine gum acts as an aid in nicotine replacement therapy, still it has got various side-effects in long term use. It results in receding gums, bad breath, digestive issues and staining to some extent. Therefore it should be used in little amount and try to gradually
reduce its frequency. You may try some other nicotine replacement products with least side effects such as Nicoderm patch and vapor cigarettes.
As you told, its been 2 years since you had your dental examination. Hence it is highly recommended that you go for it now and probably you might get scaling and polishing for stain removal.
Consult your dentist for further treatment plan.

Hope I answered your query.

Wishing you a good health.

Kind Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad