Suggest treatment for yellow phlegm discharge while coughing

ENT Specialist
Question
I had a bad sinus infection/cold about a month ago that caused a great deal of mucus discharge from my nose. Since then it has moved to my chest. I am no longer sick but constantly feel as if there is something stuck in my upper chest.

Every morning now and throughout the day, I will cough up white and yellow phlegm. Every once in a while this will be accompanied by pin head to dime size pieces of what appear to be white tissue that is rubbery but solid. Am I ok? What is this?
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please dont worry!

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Please don worry!

From your history it looks like that you are suffering from post viral bronchiolitis , which is inflammation ( swelling ) and hyper reactivity of the lower airway following a viral infection/common cold.

Please dont worry as this is pretty common and will subside i 2-3 weeks.Just take linctus codeine or codeine based cough syrup like codistar etc which will help suppress the cough and give you relief.

I would also like you to take steam inhalation 2-3 times a day , it will also help soothe your airway.

The dime pieces which you are seeing may just be dries mucus flakes and will eventually disappear.

If however you develop fever , chest pain , yellowish sputum or bleeding while coughing , meet your chest physician for proper examination and further advice.

Take care!

Thanks