Suggest treatment for yellow discharge and sinus infection

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a nasty sinus infection. My face is killing me and I am getting dizzy. I have yellow discharge from my sinuses. I have a bad cough. What do I do to get rid of it without antibiotics.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some recommendations for acute sinus infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for using this website.

I'm sorry to hear about your sinus infection.

-- I would recommend to use pain killers for the headache and face pain. Will help with fever too, if you have: Ibuprofen 400mg, as needed after food, maximum 4 times/day.
-- Consider intranasal saline irrigation with either physiologic or hypertonic saline. It will help soften the secretions and drain the sinuses. Drink plenty of water.
-- decongestants lack evidence for effectiveness (the medicines that open your nose nostrils, like nose spry), antihistamines not indicated (drugs like Benadryl).
Intranasal corticosteroids have been proven to help, but you will need a prescription for it.

Antibiotics improve symptoms at 7-15 days, but there is high rate of clinical improvement without antibiotics. So, you may be fine without them. But, if worse of not better after 10 days of this infection, then you should consider them.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarification.

Take care,
Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Klarida Papaqako