• question-icon

Suggest treatment for wrist joint pain after injury

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had to break up a fight btw my Macaws last night. They flew on my back. I separated them but in the process it seems i did something to the "horse-shoe" portion of my wrist. I can't lift. twist or touch my fingers to each other. can. turn a door knob. it is knife pain with use. dull achy at rest... can appreciate the help Doctor. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Immobilize the wrist joint, continue pain meds, rest and apply ice compress

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

I have reviewed your information fully. Appears you strained the wrist joint. Given that these were macaws, it’s difficult to think you could have injured a bone. For this reason, I will go with conservative management of immobilizing writs with a wrist support hand brace, avoid repetitive movements and apply cold compress to relief pain. Also, continue tramadol for pain relief. Recovery would be sure. If the pain fails to regress significantly or movements are still hard up to 3days after this incident, I will suggest you get the wrist examined.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Chobufo Ditah