Suggest treatment for wound caused by dog

Dr. Ashwini Kolur

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: A dog scratched with its claw on the.back of my hand, breaking the skin causing me to bleed. The wound is one inch long and one-half inch wide, I am 70, male and in good health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
TT booster, course of antibiotic, rabies vaccination after examination of wound

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM.
I have gone through your query.

For deeper bites or puncture wounds from any animal ( known or unknown immune status of animal), or for any bite from a strange animal:
When scratch is bleeding, apply pressure to it with a clean bandage or towel to stop the bleeding. Wash the wound with soap and water under pressure from a faucet for at least 5 minutes, but do not scrub as this may bruise the tissue. Dry the wound and cover it with a sterile dressing. Do not use tape or butterfly bandages to close the wound as this could trap harmful bacteria in the wound.

I would have put you on course of antibiotic and tetanus booster. Iv would have taking a decision on rabies vaccination after examination of would.

The drugs are prescription based agents, I would suggest you to see greatly l health care provider for evaluation at once.

Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T