Suggest treatment for worsening slurred speech

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: My husband feels "fine", but his speech is slurred. His blood pressure, taken on Tuesday was 99/56. He is not experiencing any of the other classical symptoms of a stroke, just slurred speech. Is this cause for alarm?
Prefer response by e-mail. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
He should go to ER.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Even if your husband does not have hypertension, he can still have a stroke or a transient ischemic attack (TIA). If this symptom just came on today, I think it would be wise for him to go to the ER for evaluation. He does have risk factors for a stroke, including heart disease and long history of diabetes.

Other things can cause slurred speech too, but with his medical history, and a new onset of slurred speech, TIA or stroke need to be considered so please take him to the ER promptly.