Suggest treatment for worm presence after bowel movement

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: After a bowel movement I wiped and what appeared to be a worm was on the tissue. Naturally I was horrified. I did eat some form of vegetarian pasta the previous evening and I am really hoping that is what this is. Can you identify this ?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Confirmatory lab tests needed...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

I have seen the reports you sent and can admit that identification is very difficult. However, I can say that my thoughts go for an intestinal parasite (probably tenia or ascaris). I suggest to send your stool at the lab and run examination of stool for ova/parasites to confirm/exclude parasites.

Another thought is over the veggies you consumed (sprouts or others high in fiber).

Hope it helped!
Dr.Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 8 minutes later
Providing a stool sample is quite embarrassing as you can imagine. Do you know of any lab I can mail this sample too? Must it be a stool sample or can I simply mail the object? If it requires a visit would I go to primary care or to a specialist? If so , what type of specialist? Assume for now it is a parasite. What treatments are available? can they be completely eradicated? Is this something very harmful to my health? How common is this?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 37 hours later
Brief Answer:
Schedule an appointment with your primary first...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

You can schedule an appointment with your primary doctor. When you go to the clinic, take the sample with you.

If parasites will be confirmed, nothing to worry about. It is perfectly curable. Treatment include anti-parasitic drugs based on the reports. Different medications are available for different types of parasites.

Intestinal parasitic infections are very common among endemic populations and especially when patients are traveling. Some of them can easily get transmitted through contact with infected persons or through eating uncooked foods (meat, especially pig's; vegetables, etc.).

Hope it answered to your queries! All the best!
Dr.Klerida