Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms of Tramadol

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: Back in May of 2016, my 94 year old mother, took some Tramadol for leg pain. She might have taken around 15 of those at 50mg over a 3 week period. Her weight would have been in the lower 80's. During that time, and shortly after she stopped taken them, she started acting kind of nutty at times including wanting to die and thinking of killing herself. She has never acted this way her entire life, and also was way out of character for her to talk and act this way. I put her into a nursing home in late XXXXXXX but over the last couple of weeks of seeing her their, she has been acting much more normal, kind of like her old self again,
My question is, could Tramadol have caused her to act this way during this period of time?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In short ryn gosh yes

Detailed Answer:
the main side effects of tramadol are mental...up to and including fatal seizures

the very elderly take time to get back from confusion regardless of cause

so while there are many many causes like urinary infection heart attack seasonal depression and all of these may get better on their own you have to wonder about medicalltllions like tramadol
Follow up: Dr. Matt Wachsman 14 hours later
yes, your response back was fine with me. On your last sentence, you said that you have to wonder about medicalltllions like tramadol, did you mean medications?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you for your patience.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, certainly medications. At the time of writing I was at a small tablet and the application for this site on a tablet uses very small type and a very small keyboard. I tend to make a lot of typos when not at a screen whose display I can control.

The main point is that thankfully, the change in mental status seems to be temporary. This means it was an illness that is not dementia.

Social interaction and music are helpful in recovery of mental issues (stroke, confusion, or any other alteration in mental state).