Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms of Prednisone

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Cancer
Question: I currently have lung cancer, blood and liver, taking chemo. My question is about the med. Prednisone 20 MG. It started at 40 MG a day and I have been tapering off. Now taking 1/2 of a pill daily. Started waking up each night in a cold sweat. Takes an hour or so plus a 1/2 Valium to cool down and return to bed. One doctors said to stop taking the Prednisone. Not sure what to do. Need a good nights sleep.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to stop slowly

Detailed Answer:

I would like to know why this prednisolone was started and for how long it is continuing. But one thing is sure, that it can't be stopped suddenly. It has to be reduced slowly. Like 20MG to 10MG then 5MG, then stop. Otherwise it will cause more problems.

Also I am not sure if prednisolone is responsible for these symptoms. May be you can try the valium before going to bed.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 59 minutes later
The Prednisone was started about 3 weeks ago. Dr. Fuquay a Pulmonary started me on the Prednisone after a major problem breathing after a Liver Biopsey. Was doing fine for the last couple weeks after lower dose Chemo until this past weekend. No Fever, just cold sweat started Sunday along with a swelling in my arm pit. GP Doctor had an MRI or something and blood flow was fine. Chemo Doctor Shah checked it out yesterday along with my blood work and was not at all concerned with the arm. He was concerned the Prednisone was causing the problem. Just don't know if I should stay with 5 mg for a few days then quit?
If its some form of allergy like I had years ago to other peoples body yeast that woke me with cold sweats then I'll get used to it. Just need a better night sleep.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, stay a few days on 5mg then stop

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Slowly reducing the dose will be justified. Abrupt stopping will cause problems.

Till then, a low dose of valium before going to sleep would help.