Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms of Opiate

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am just over 37 weeks pregnant, and have taken percocets legally through out entire pregnancy. My current dose level is 3/ day. I was switched this week by an ER doctor to 10mg morphines due to issues with my teeth on top of usual back pain. I have run out of the morphine early and have started withdrawal symptoms including: pain in lower back and lower abdomen which feel a bit like contractions, nausea, sweats that come and go and mild diarehea. Should i call my OB or go to ER regarding a new prescription? I see my OB in 2 days
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
withdrawal

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

YOu are currently experiencing opiate withdrawals. Since you have been using opiates for a long time your body has become addicted to the pain medications. Now that you are out of your medication you are having withdrawals. I would have you call your OB/GYN who has been prescribing your medication and see about getting refills. The ER will probably not be very helpful to you as they only want to work with acute illnesses and medication refills are not deemed emergent.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact HCM again if you have any further questions.