Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms of Mirtazapine

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Sleep Disorders
Question: I have been regularly taking Mirnite 7.5 for last 5 years and prior to that tryptomer. I was comfortable with minimum doses. Now I am trying to stop and facing sleep disorder. How to handle
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms will reduce in some time

Detailed Answer:
Hello, thanks for asking from HCM.

I can understand your concern.
Mirtazepin or Tryptomer both are the drugs those cause changes at receptor or molecular levels and help in sleep/depression. If the drugs stopped without proper tapering, then there are chances of withdrawal symptoms, especially insomnia is seen.

To prevent sleep issues, if you have prescription then you can take drugs in low doses like Pregabali or Gabapentine. It's better if you take these drugs on sos basis. It will help in sleep till your body gets adjusted to withdrawal symptoms of Mirtazepin.
Try to remain relaxed as in most cases withdrawal symptoms reduce by its own in couple of weeks. So no need to worry.
Thanks. Take care. Hope this helps you. Please don't hesitate to ask again for more details.
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 4 days later
Thanks Sir
I am taking minimum dose of Mirnite 7.5 every night and how to taper ( to avoid withdrawl symptoms) further as no further smaller doses are available. Do you suggest that I should continue to take this. I am concerned as i am taking for last 10 years. Is it having any impact on memory or alertness or other side effect. As explained earlier, I am regularly having Metaprolol plus Amlodipin combination to control BP and Migration.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stop the drug no need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Yes, as no smaller doses are available so better to stop the drug and as I have mentioned earlier too, you can take medicines like low dose Clonazepam or Pregabalin or Gabapentine. These medicines will reduce the withdrawal symptoms.

No the drug will not have any impact on your memory or cognition so no need to worry.

Thanks still have more doubts please ask again.