Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms of Marijuana

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in ADHD
Question: My son 17 years was taking ganja for past few months , we have recently deducted the same and have stop his movement. Now he is not taking even water from last 30 hrs , please advice
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be catatonia

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

With available description there are two possibilities.

The first as you can guess it is just a revenge to your action. It is rightly possible if the our son states that he is not going to take anything as he is falsely implicated or .......

The second possibility is catatonia. This could occur on sudden withdrawal of cannabis. The condition is characterized by complete or partial mutism (decreased speech output or absence speech output), decreased motor movements. having some abnormal posture, negativism (applying all negative force against efforts of parents or others), refusal to accept food and violence.

If your son falls in the second category there is definite need to see a psychiatrist without delay as 30 hours is quite lengthy to decide and we need to act.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me for any more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 4 hours later
Sir , my son has taken science in 11 th standard after completing 10 th class with 95% marks , he is stubborn from last 4-5 years this is also a fact. In 11th he took his studies very carelessly. Then he made a girl friend got deeply involved in emotional relationship with her . Studies got futher hambered n made no of friends. He started smoking and then it also started taking ganja also ( this we recently noticed from the withdrawal symptoms) .we admitted him into boarding school back to class 11 in commerce stream . His school started 1 month back , he was ok but then he refused to stay in hostel saying i cannot stay in very controlled life. After bringing him back from hostel ,we took all matters seriously talked with girls parents n assured they are not talking to each other till they grow up to decide future. Then to stop his habbit of ganja we stopped him from moving outside the house. He is not moving anywere since last sunday, earlier he was voilent

Earlier on the next day then we told him of he behaves ok we will take him out after 3-4 days. Now from last 2 days he has stopped taking food n water saying he will ear only if taken outaide n let him free. This stopping food intake tractis he has applied earlier also to make us do what he wants , bur this time it is 2 days. He got hom check by physician his bp is ok. Please advice how ro handle and what to do.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for follow up.

I am glad to know that it is not catatonia as suspected in my earlier post and it is just a blackmail tactic by the young person.

I understand that it is not overt psychiatric illness but presence of violent behavior, stubbornness, failure to obey request and orders of elderly in family and substance abuse at cost of career clearly indicates that there is need for personalized approach by mental health professional.

You may argue that I am a psychiatrist and should suggest something but I feel without interacting with child any kind of generic advice may have adverse consequences at this stage. In my opinion please see a psychiatrist in person without delay for assessment and counselling.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.