Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms of Lexapro

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Mental Health
Question: What are side effects from not taking Lexapro for 4 days? I've been on it for a year and haven't been able to get it refilled.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may cause withdrawal symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

Lexapro is an antidepressant which can cause withdrawal effects if discontinued abruptly.

In regard to symptoms a person may experience
Restlessness
Increased dreams
Insomnia
Irritability
Tremors
Agitation

For a person using lexapro for a year or more can develop withdrawal symptoms in three to four days and they may last for four weeks.

I hope this answers your question.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
I Request you to use the following link in future while posting a query related to my specialty so it reaches directly to me:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 13 minutes later
Can it cause upset stomach? Also when I get them today how long will the symptoms last?

And is there any thing that can help with the nausea feeling?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Generally last from a week to four weeks

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Yes the stomach upset and nausea are one among the withdrawal symptoms and can last for a period of one week to four weeks.

Regarding management an Benzodiazepine like clonazepam or xanax can help in management. The other options are anti-emetic medications like ondansetron or metoclopramide which are over the counter medications.

I hope this assists you further.
Thanks and regards.