• question-icon

Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms of Escitalopram

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
Iam suffering from health anxiety and taking medication for the same from 2012. Yesterday, I have joined a Ayurvedic resort for a 21 day treatment and Since yesterday Iam getting a feeling like my body has just been jolted or electrified when I try to sleep. This happens every time I try to sleep and it keeps me awake all the time even if Iam very sleepy. When this happens, my heart beat increases and make me more stressed all the time like a continuous cycle. What do I need to do to stop this cycle and to sleep peacefully ? Iam very scared if I will ever be able to sleep again.

I used to take Escitalopram 10mg and Amisulpride 100mg in the starting and now reduced to only Escitalopram 5mg after showing signs of improvement. I have stopped Amisulpride 50mg last week(8th July 2017).
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to go back to escitalopram 10 mg

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description it appears to me that the experienced symptoms indicates possibility of escitalopram withdrawal symptoms.

It is common observation that if escitalopram is stopped suddenly out of proportion or before time the person can experience withdrawal symptoms or reappearance of anxiety symptoms.

Since it can be called early discontinuation as the medication has been used for last three years calling it withdrawal symptoms will be more appropriate.

In my opinion go back to 10 mg of escitalopram and stay at same dose for atleast 15 days or preferably one month. Once there is enough control of anxiety symptoms take a call to reduce escitalopram 2.5 mg every 15 days and do not be in the haste.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 52 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
I have not stopped Escitalopram. Iam currently using Escitalopram 5mg. A Doctor suggested me reduce it to 5mg from 10mg 4 months back after using 10mg for almost 3 years. I have only stopped Amisulpride 50mg last week.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for follow up.

I am sorry to know that my answer was slightly confusing for you.

However I like to make it clear that my answer considered the above fact and used the term "stopped suddenly out of proportion". I mean to say that 5 mg reduction on one go was quite high considering the three years of use.

After prolonged use it is never recommend to reduce more than 25 % in one go. I mean reducing 2.5 mg at a time is recommended and anything beyond this is out of proportion.

I also like to clarify that current symptoms do not indicate withdrawal symptoms due to amisulpiride.

I hope this helps you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future, if you wish to ask any more questions, you can use the below-mentioned link to contact me.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 days later
Hi Doctor, I have taken Escitalopram 10mg and Clonazepam 0.5mg yesterday night as per the advice from a doctor. Though, I was able to get a nice sleep after taking the tablet, but still Iam getting anxiety thoughts about having another panic attack and have palpitations most of the time, twhich makes me disinterested in daily activities. All these symptoms started after I joined a Ayurveda Hospital 4 days back for a 21 day treatment. I also have thoughts that Iam now only confined to the perimeters of the hospital and makes me panic to get out the hospital as soon as possible. I have the below questions:

1) How do I control these thoughts that comes to me everytime?

2) I am worried if I will ever be able to get out of these constant anxiety. How long will it take for the above tablet to effectively get me out of the current issues?

3) Will these medication be harmful in the long run?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for follow up.

Regarding the control of thoughts and anxiety associated with them it is important to engage in one or another activities. Try to have regular exercise and increase your social interaction with people around you.

I am more than sure and like to assure you that you will be able to come out of anxiety again as in past. The usual time taken for reappearnce of effect of medication may take 7 to 10 days as a minimum.

The medications are largely safe and do not have any serious side effects even after years of use. In other words the benefits offered with the medications are largely very high in compare to side effects caused by it.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 days later
Thanks a ton for your reply... One final questions..

- I left to say that I was using Venlafaxine XR 75gm daily from 2007 to 2012.

- On July 2012 It was changed to Escitalopram 10mg.

- Then changed to Escitalopram 10mg and Amisulpride 100mg after 3-4 months.

- On Improvement It was changes to Escitalopram 10mg and Amisulpride 50mg on 2015.

- It was then changed to Escitalopram 5mg and Amisulpride 50mg on March 2017, and finally to only Escitalopram 5mg on 8th July 2017.

Have all these medications made irreversible changes in my brain that cannot be cured?
Brief Answer:
No permanent changes

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for follow up.

None of these medications are known to cause irreversible changes in the brain. They just help the individual at the time of need and same is applicable in your case.

I hope this helps you further.
Since this is the last follow up you are allowed for the current question I request you to open a new thread if there are more questions.

While posting another query please use my url which is as follows. This will ensure direct delivery of your question to me and continuity of care.

Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist