• question-icon

Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms of Duragesic patch

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Pain Management
Question: if you run out of duragic patch fentanyl before your next prescription and must wait for at least 10 dAYS FOR NEXT PRESCRIPTION WHAT PRECAUTIONS ND TO BE TAKEN
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Withdrawals from opiates

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You have been taking duragesic patches and for some reason you will be out of your patch for 10 days. During those 10 days you will be going through withdrawals. You will experience anxiety, tremor, goose flesh skin, severe muscle pain and aching, abdominal cramping diarrhea and vomiting. To help reduce your symptoms I recommend taking motrin or Ibuprofen for the muscle pain and aching, Benadryl to help with the anxiety and imodium to help the the diarrhea.

If you have any of your old patches you could use them during the 10 days and that would lessen you withdrawal symptoms as they will still have medication in them but not at the levels you are accustomed to.

I hope this answers your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Dr. Ronald Schubert